before we begin...
- Like life itself, this document is ever-changing and unfinished.
- Existence precedes essence.
- Some of what you read might be [wait.hacking.] propaganda.
- Other writing was crafted by Facebook's recommendation algorithm.
- It is ...
once we've started...
- I'm Matt Baer
- I make things on the internet and wander and write and do other things, too
- As with all things on the internet, verify sources, question the author's authority, and don't take things too seriously.
* * *
NYC — May 7
Jax — May 12
Tampa — May 18
Jax — May 23
OBX — July 6
Jax — July 16
France — July 21
Italy — July 27
Jax — August 6
- さまよう (Samayou) — save useful URLs while you travel. A much-needed service I made while I was in Japan.
- #shouldvestayedhome — selfies from the underwhelming world outside. Preview.
- Write.as — simple blogging / text publishing. Start writing.
- Read Write.as — a reading space for Write.as. Start reading.
- HTMLhouse — a real-time HTML editor. Create a site.
- Snap.as — photo galleries and essays. Get notified.
- Remark.as — privacy-first comments. Look.
- Draft.as — simple text collaboration. Look.
- Jot.as — private note-taking. Look.
the passage of time
I take the quaint pastime of watching the clouds go by and speed it up for you. See time-lapses from a mountain in Japan or a beach in Florida and places in Italy and a hotel in Honolulu.
the frozen moments
Couldn't afford an iPhone X; stuck shooting on a camera from 1985. See the gallery here.
- Rules are Rules — photo series from a trip to Japan. Fall 2017.
- Doors — a photo series from a trip to Europe. May 2016.
More galleries posted on Snap.as.
the written thoughts
Most of my concerns are Trending on Facebook. But when my squishy human body distracts me from my Twitter feed, or my iPad or phone dies and some original thought comes to mind, I publish it on Write.as.
2008 – 2014 saw a diverse range of facial hair styles that inspired both awe and slight nauseousness in anyone within eyeshot.
Gallery coming soon.
the free services
There aren't enough free, stable internet utilities. I run some for myself, and want to share. Besides the things I'm building above (that are free to use), let me know if you want an account on any of these.
- Writing Exchange — a community of writers in the fediverse.
- Code.as — code hosting, public or private.
While I wait for code-writing AI to take my job, I program for fun and pine for the days of punchcards, chanting: It can be this way forever! The computers will do what I say...
- make medium readable again - a browser extension to make Medium less annoying. People say it's cool.
- punctuation - extract only punctuation from a body of text.
- siteshot - simple web application for capturing website screenshots.
- htmlhouse - web application for quick, anonymous HTML publishing.
- nerds - telnet server enabling users to publish text online.
Like what I do and build? You can help support me in a couple ways.
- Buy a Write.as subscription (recommended, for you and for me)
- Become a patron on Liberapay or Patreon
- Send some Bitcoin to
- Litecoin to
- Send a little bit through PayPal
Besides cash money, a little shout-out about the things I'm building goes a long way. If you really like Write.as, there are several ways to tell the world about us.
* * *
- interesting links
- what I haven't finished reading
- what I haven't started watching
- a professional persona
Want to talk or type? Find me in real life or via email, respectively.
echo bWF0dEBiYWVyLndvcmtzCg== | base64 --decode or (if you don't know what to do with that) combine:
- My first name
- This domain name
This millenial uses Signal for messaging and you should, too (email me for my phone #). PGP key on Keybase. Code on GitHub. Bite-sized complaints about software on Twitter. Remember to throw out your TV and delete your Facebook.